How do I allocate more RAM to the RuneScape Client on a Windows PC?
These steps are for the legacy Java client.
Why would I need to do this?
If you find that RuneScape is stuttering or running slowly when you launch the game, increasing the amount of RAM allocated to the RuneScape Client improves the Client's performance and increases stability. All you need to do is edit the RuneScape.PRM file, this may sound a bit complicated, but follow the steps below and you'll have it done in no time!
How do I do this?
- Navigate to: %USERPROFILE%/Jagexcache/Jagexlauncher/runescape
- In this folder you should find a file called runescape.prm
- Edit/Open this with Notepad.
- The file should look like this by default:
(The line -Xmx256m may also have a different number, such as -Xmx384m, dependent on client version)
- Replace the line beginning: -Xmx
- With: -Xmx512m
- Save and close the runescape.prm file
PLEASE NOTE - ALLOCATING MORE THAN 512MB OF RAM CAN HAVE A NEGATIVE AFFECT ON PERFORMANCE
I've completed the edit - what now?
Please now launch RuneScape and enjoy the improved stability and performance! If you're still experiencing performance issues after following the above steps please see this list of more solutions for performance issues.
Having problems with these steps?