How to perform a Trace Route – PC
What is a Trace Route and why are you asking me to perform one?
A Trace Route produces a map of the route taken by internet traffic between your computer and the intended destination. It's a really useful test that highlights any potential connectivity problems and helps us to establish where things are going wrong such as:
- Is it a problem with your network configuration?
- An issue with your Internet Service Provider (ISP)?
- Or is it a problem in one of our Data Centers?
As you're reading this article, you should have already tried to flush your DNS and checked your ports and exceptions, but your connectivity issue still remains. We need you to perform a Trace Route and send us a ticket with a link to the results so we can review this with you and establish where things are going wrong.
It might sound a bit scary, but the steps below will take you through the process one step at a time.
How do I perform a Trace Route?
- Go to the Start Menu
- Enter ‘cmd’ into the search bar that pops up, press enter
Then press enter. (Please replace world1 with the world you have been experiencing connectivity issues on)
- Take a screenshot of the information displayed
- Upload this to an image hosting website like Imgur
I'm on Mac.
Having problems with these steps?