Configuring the client to launch OldSchool
These steps are for altering the Java Client.
The Java client can be found at the bottom of this download page.
Why would I need to do this?
If you'd like a shortcut on your desktop that opens Old School RuneScape, these steps will help you out!
This will also allow you to access Deadman Mode worlds through Old School - meaning that, with these steps, you're also configuring the client to launch Deadman Mode.
How would I do this on Windows?
We have broken the process down into three separate sections to make it easier to follow.
Step 1 - Creating the Folder
- Press the Windows key + R at the same time. This will open the Run window.
- Paste %userprofile%\jagexcache\ in to the "run" window, and select OK.
- Copy the runescape folder, and call it oldschool
Step 2 - Editing the .prm file
- Go into this new oldschool folder, and rename runescape.prm to oldschool.prm
(If you don't have file extensions set as visible, you will see "runescape" rather than "runescape.prm" as the file - you'll need to just rename it to "oldschool", as the file extension will then stay the same)
- Right click the oldschool.prm file and either select 'edit' or 'open with'. (If you need to select open with choose any text editor like Notepad or Write)
- When the file opens find the line that says;
- and change it to say
- Save the file
Step 3 - Setting up a new shortcut
- Find and copy the RuneScape client shortcut, rename this Old School RuneScape, or similar
- Edit the new shortcut properties (right click and select 'edit shortcut properties') so that where it says "JagexLauncher.exe runescape" it now says "JagexLauncher.exe oldschool"
- Open the client using the new link to get the old school game, or your old link to get the main game!
How would I do this on Mac OS X
- Open Finder
- click on Applications
- Right click on the RuneScape icon
- Select "Show Package Contents"
- Double click on the folder "Contents"
- Double click on the file called Info.plist
- In the Info.plist file look for the line with the RuneScape URL. Change it from www.runescape.com to www.oldschool.runescape.com (the rest of the line can stay the same!)
- Save the file
- Open the downloadable client as you normally would
Having problems with these steps?
What if this didn't work?
If you're no longer able to open the client, try reverting the changes you have made above and ensure that you are able to open the client successfully there (if you can, then make the changes again). And if you can't open the client on RuneScape or Old School RuneScape, check out other client solutions.