Password creation advice
We recommend changing your password every three months. You should never tell anyone your password, even JMods can't see your password!
To improve your account's security follow these steps:
1. Use a unique password for each of your accounts
Reusing passwords is risky. If someone figures out the password for one account, they could potentially gain access to other accounts (think: email, RuneScape, banking, and more!)
Make sure your password has a mix of:
This makes it harder for someone to guess.
2. Don't use personal information or common words
Create a password that's unrelated to your personal information.
Try to make your password difficult to guess by:
- Selecting a random word or phrase
- Inserting letters and numbers into the beginning, middle and end
3. Make sure your registered email is up-to-date and secure
It's important to remember that your password is only as secure as the registered email on your account.
To secure your email:
- Make sure your email password is different
- Protect your email with 2-Step Verification (step 5)
4. Add an extra layer of security with RuneScape Authenticator
Once you've created a password, you can add an extra layer of security by enabling RuneScape Authenticator. This extra defense means that even if someone knows your password they'll be unable to access your in-game account.