How to perform a Trace Route - Mac
What is a Trace Route and why are you asking me to do this?
A Trace Route produces a map of the route taken by internet traffic between your computer and the intended destination. It's a really useful test that highlights any potential connectivity problems and helps us to establish where things are going wrong such as:
- Is it a problem with your network configuration?
- An issue with your Internet Service Provider (ISP)?
- Or is it a problem in one of our Data Centers?
As you're reading this article, you should have already tried to flush your DNS and checked any ports and exceptions, but your connectivity issue still remains. We need you to perform a Trace Route and send us a ticket with a link to the results so we can review this with you and establish where things are going wrong.
It might sound a bit scary, but the steps below will take you through the process one step at a time.
How do I perform a Trace Route?
- Open theUtilitiesfolder on your hard drive - you can quickly open this from Finder with the key combination;
Command + Shift + 'U'
- Launch the Network Utility
I'm on Windows.
Having problems with these steps?