The Jagex Launcher offers a new and improved experience for RuneScape and beyond. It allows you to access Jagex games seamlessly and securely, all in one place and with the safety and convenience of a single login.
The Jagex Launcher is currently in Open Beta. It launches with the ability to remember your account details for quick, secure access to your RuneScape account and has lots of new features on the way. We'd love to know your thoughts, so please do share your feedback.
Do I need to install my games separately?
If you already have RuneScape or Old School installed, the Jagex Launcher will automatically find them. Alternatively, you can install through the Launcher.
How do I switch between accounts?
You can add multiple RuneScape accounts to the Jagex Launcher and switch between them without entering your password every time:
- Open the Launcher
- Press 'Manage accounts' and 'Add an account'
- Follow the prompts
- Add up to 10 accounts
- To add third-party accounts such as Facebook and Google, you'll need to add a login email first
You can now choose which character you want to play on via the drop-down in the Launcher. If you want to play on multiple accounts, select the character and press 'play' for each.
Can I install and launch RuneLite via the Launcher?
Yes! You'll be able to easily switch between RuneLite and the official game client:
- Head to the Jagex Launcher and log in to your Old School RuneScape account
- Click the drop-down next to the 'Play' or 'Install' button
- Choose 'RuneLite'
- If you haven't already downloaded RuneLite press 'Install' and you'll be directed to the official RuneLite website
- If you already have RuneLite installed, the Jagex Launcher will look for it in the folder in which it was originally installed. If the files have been moved the Launcher won't be able to find them. Try reinstalling RuneLite using the RuneLite installer.
Do I need to use the Jagex Launcher?
During the Open Beta phase, players are free to play through the regular clients or from the Jagex Launcher. Eventually, the Launcher will become the only way of accessing any Jagex game, including RuneScape and Old School.
Can I play both RuneScape and Old School at the same time?
The Launcher can only run one game at a time.
Why is the Launcher failing to boot a game?
If you are experiencing trouble with a game, try uninstalling and reinstalling it:
- If you installed the game through the Launcher, click the three dots next to the Play button and then select ‘Uninstall’
- Alternatively, games can be manually uninstalled
- Windows: Open 'Windows Control Panel' > Uninstall a Program
- Mac: Find the app in 'Finder' > Drag the app to the Bin
If this doesn't work, or you're repeatedly seeing an error message such as 'The launcher has experienced an error and needs to close' try uninstalling and reinstalling the Launcher itself. Restarting your device or your network can also resolve problems.
My Launcher is stuck on ‘Please wait while an update is applied.’ What do I do?
It's possible the Launcher is running twice on the same machine. To fix this close both Launchers (from the system tray) and then restart to re-apply the update.
Why am I being prompted for my Mac password to access the keychain?
To avoid being prompted again for your password, click 'Always Allow' instead of clicking 'Allow' after entering your Mac password.
Why do I get a white screen when trying to install the launcher on my Mac?
You may see a white screen when using the Jagex Launcher Installer on Mac if you are trying to re-install it after deleting it or if there was a problem with an update. You can resolve this issue by following these steps:
- Open the terminal from the Finder and input the following command:
rm ~/Library/Application\ Support/Jagex\ Launcher/launcher-mac.production.json
- Open the Jagex Launcher installer app and install as normal
My Mac Launcher doesn't self update. What do I do?
We're aware of an issue with the launcher macOS Ventura, where the launcher can't self update. To manually perform an update, follow the steps:
Affected users will see an error appear
- Press 'Cancel' on the prompt mentioning the app is damaged
- Open the Applications folder and find the Jagex Launcher app
- Right click on the app and select "Show Package Contents"
- Delete the folder 'GPUCache'
- Run the launcher again and choose to apply the update
What if I don't want to use the Jagex Launcher?
Currently, the Launcher is optional for account log in. Eventually, the RuneScape and Old School RuneScape standalone clients will no longer be supported. If you don't want to use the Launcher just yet, you can follow these links to install the standalone RuneScape or Old School clients.