Our games have services and items which can be purchased from the mobile app or on desktop. If you make a purchase on behalf of someone else — such as your child — it can be helpful to explain if and when it's OK for your payment details to be used in future. This way you both understand and agree what is acceptable.
If you notice an unexpected payment on your billing statement, it could mean that someone in your care has used your payment details without your permission. We take security very seriously, but we can't keep your card safe from someone who can physically access it. We don't like to treat this as fraud, but ultimately these are cases where someone has used payment information to make purchases without the bill payer's permission.
We recommend taking the following precautions to help prevent these unknown transactions from appearing on your statement:
Keep your payment methods safe
- Keep your payment cards in a safe place where they cannot be accessed by others.
- Don't share your login details for PayPal or other online payment services.
- Use a billing contact email address that only you have access to, keep it secure, and check it regularly for transaction confirmations.
- Use our Security tips to help keep your online accounts secure.
Take care when making purchases
- If other people also use your computer, don't save your card details in the browser.
- If you have already saved payment information, you can still delete it. Please see these guides for the most popular browsers:
- Do keep your essential security information safe – for example, the CVV on the back of your card.
- Use 2 factor authentication for payments.
- For debit and credit cards, you’ll need to contact your card provider.
- PayPal users can set up 2 step verification online.
Use Parental Controls
- Some of our games can be played on mobile. Purchases for these services are made through the app store, separately from our own systems.
- Google Play offers parental controls. This allows you to require a password or authentication for purchases made through the Play Store.
- Apple devices also have parental controls, allowing you to prevent iTunes and App Store purchases.
Alternative payment methods
- We offer pre-paid cards which can be purchased in retail stores, and can be redeemed for most of the services and items we offer.
- Ask your bank about pre-paid payment cards which can be 'loaded' with a set amount of money, much like a gift card.
- Some banks provide accounts specifically for under 18s. These offer cards we accept, but also offer tailored account management such as a pre-defined spending criteria.
If you have found a transaction on your statement from help.jagex.com but you don’t remember making a purchase, you can contact us through the Unknown Transaction page.
As a parent or guardian, if you wish to get in touch with us about something else, please check out our parent's guide for more information.