Denied password resets
There are three reasons why your password resets may be getting denied.
1. Recovering the wrong account
There are a few things you need to think about before submitting your password reset request.
- Make sure you are entering your login Username or login email address. Remember, accounts created after November 2010 use a login email. Accounts created prior to this date use a login Username.
- Make sure you are not entering your in-game character name as this may be different to your username. Your request will be denied as you may be attempting to recover someone else’s account!
When submitting your information you need to make sure you have provided strong information to the account to prove your ownership of the account. The earlier the information the better!
- Recovery questions
If you have ever set recovery questions on your account please make sure to submit the earliest recoveries that you can remember.
- Payment details
In the event you have bought membership, or this has been bought for you, we would expect you to know the following details:
• Postal/ZIP code of bill payer
• Payment Email Address (whether PayPal or the Email you used to receive confirmation of the purchase)
• Payment Type
• Bill payer name
• Billing Transaction ID’s
• Last four digits of credit/debit card
Remember, when providing this information please try and provide the earliest billing details you can remember.
- Other details
Where you created the account is definitely something the account creator would know. If you can’t provide this, your appeal will be denied.
• Creation Date: Year and month
• Where: Country
• ISP: Internet Service Provider you used when you created the account – most people don’t change ISP’s for years, so have a think!
• Current ISP: Who provides your internet currently?
• Moved house? When? Where from/to?
- Final tips
• Submit your password reset request from the device you mostly play from!
• DO NOT use a VPN or anything that will mask your IP address!
3. Not the owner of the account
In some cases you may be told that the account you are trying to recover does not belong to you. You may have spent time on the account but please be aware that the account should always be in control of the creator. You should not accept any accounts as the account will not be granted back to you if a password reset is submitted.
We strongly recommend taking the time to read through the Rules of RuneScape.
Response ETA: Up to 24 hours
Check your email for a reply