Follow these steps to help optimise your computer's performance when playing RuneScape or Old School.
Minimise The Use Of Other Programs
Your Central Processing Unit (CPU) can only run so many tasks at once. Close any unnecessary programs you aren’t using whilst playing RuneScape.
The more strain you put your CPU under the more heat it is going to produce, so always ensure you have adequate cooling to prevent any damage.
Check For Malware
Malware, or malicious software, can also eat up your computer's processing power.
If you don't have protection and scanning tools installed already, check out what free antivirus tools we recommend.
Update Your Programs & Drivers
Programs: RuneScape doesn’t require much in order to play but it’s always a good idea to keep your programs up to date.
Graphics drivers: Visit your drivers manufacturer’s website in order to find the latest updates. If you’re unsure which card you’re using, check your manual.
Update Your Operating System
Many updates will aid your system performance by fixing known bugs and improving any security holes that viruses could potentially take advantage of.
Windows: Search 'Windows Update' and hit the 'install updates' button
Mac: Click on the 'Apple' Icon in the top left of the screen and click "Software Updates..."
When using a laptop instead of a desktop computer, there are other things that can affect your performance, so we have a whole page on how to improve your laptops performance.
If you find RuneScape isn't playing how you'd expected on Mobile check out this article for some tips on how to Improve Mobile Performance.
Other issue-specific resolutions
Performance drops, in general, can be caused by a number of different issues.
- Check out our pages for diagnosing lag and Graphical Issues
- See our advice on what to do if your game keeps crashing
- You can also find information on connection issues and managing your graphics settings which can help with poor performance
Get help from our community
If you have tried out all the steps above, and you're still seeing problems, please get in touch! Please include the following information to help us identify your problem:
- Does an error message appear? If so what does it say?
- Confirm that you have read this article and followed the steps provided - so we can avoid providing solutions you have already tried!
- Provide us as many details as available about the issue you're seeing and when it began happening.
Response ETA: Up to 48 hours