Jagex Accounts have improved account security through stronger passwords, email notifications, and 2-factor authentication. And, you won't need to remember multiple passwords as you can add up to 20 characters to a single account.
To recover your RuneScape character and move to a Jagex account follow these steps. If you already have a Jagex account, you can recover any alternate characters not yet imported with the legacy recovery process.
If you have access to your registered email
If you haven't already created a Jagex account, you can quickly recover your RuneScape character by creating one, without needing to remember your old password. This is only possible if the registered e-mail on the RuneScape character matches the e-mail you use to create a Jagex account.
- Sign up for a Jagex account using the same registered email as your RuneScape account.
Log in to your new Jagex account and go to Character Settings.
- If you have a RuneScape character with the same login and registered email it will be automatically imported.
- Any RuneScape characters that match only the registered e-mail will be suggested for import. Press the "Import Existing" button and verify ownership with an emailed code.
- Download the Jagex Launcher, log in with your new Jagex account, and choose which character to play.
If you only see a blank character when you try this, don't worry! That just means there were no matches so a new character was created onto the Jagex account for you. You can still find your old character, but you'll have to go through our legacy recovery process.
Legacy account recovery
To recover a character that has not been upgraded to a Jagex account:
- Head to Account Recovery.
- Enter the login username or e-mail (not the in-game display name) and press "Recover".
- Accounts created prior to November 2010 will have a login username. Accounts created after November 2010 will have a login e-mail.
- If you can't remember the login username/e-mail, please head to our Forgot Login page.
- A password reset link will be sent to the account's registered e-mail. If this doesn't arrive or you can't find the right e-mail account, click "Contact Jagex Support" to fill out the Account Recovery form. You'll receive a reply within 24 hours.
- Once you've regained access to your RuneScape character, upgrade to a Jagex account to keep it secure.
If your requests are being denied, please have a read through the information here.